The Samling 👍👍👍👌
Simply stated, life stands still when sitting in the courtyard of The Samling overlooking Lake Windermere. Stunningly beautiful!
– location: Breathtaking. Never-ending stream of postcard views.
– character and atmosphere: Old country house with modern, chic interior design.
– style and comfort: Very
– table and glassware: Slick plates
– other guests: Elderly couples dressed smartly. We were casual, but respectfully attired.
– reception: Professional and friendly.
– floor staff (knowledge and presentation of food, attention to details and awareness of guests): Professional to a fault.
– sommelier, maitre’d, chef, manager: Young fella who took our order was friendly, professional and quite knowledgable regarding wine. Basically, one person does all sorta approach.
– bread: Excellent.
– ingredients: We saw chefs walking around the property picking herbs and veggies for our lunch. Please…
– presentation: Staff knows the food
– creativity: Very
– taste: Excellent, soft
– smell: Beautiful May flowers’ day
– execution: Perfect.
Canapés of truffle risotto very good.
Amuse bouche of mackerel, cucumber, rosemary water with wasabi vinaigrette outstanding. Lightly fresh.
Foie grois with peanut butter (seriously!), pear and candied macadamia nuts. Oh my…
Salmon with beet root jelly and grapefruit. Fresh, light and friendly on the palate.
Sri Lankan Crevette. Chef used Sri Lankan crustaceans because he thinks they are the best. Otherwise, all local. Beautiful piece of meat, but slightly overcooked and chewy. Too bad…so close…
Turbot. Broth for the fish prepared separately in a coffee percolator. Clever and done at the table. Excellent, especially the veggies, in terms of flavour. Slightly over-cooked, but yummy veggies.
Mango, Coconut and Rice dessert to die for as we gobbled up the entire dish. We were saying “Thailand” while munching…which speaks volumes as to the flavours.
– selection: Good to very good
– variety: Good
– value: A bit expensive
Bottle of 2011 Puligny-Montrachet Les Meix Olivier Leflaive. Darn fantabulous for a “village” wine. Wow!
– type of cuisine: Modern British
– dress code: Casual
The Samling The Samling 👍👍👍👌
Chef Ian Swainson
Windermere, Cumbria LA23 1LR
GastroNaughties’ Restaurants in UK and Dublin