EPURE Hong Kong 👍👍👍👌
We were pleased to meet pre-holidays with one of our friends visiting from overseas, and we decided lunch at Epure would be a fitting way to enjoy some excellent chatting, sipping ’n snacking.
As mentioned during our last visit, EPURE is swish, chic, reasonably comfortable, boasts a very good wine list, offers quality service and produces some very good to excellent food. A true “fine dining”, “excellent” establishment.
If you are in Hong Kong, you should book EPURE and expect an all around excellent event.
– location. One of our least favourite places, ie Ocean City in Tsim Sha Tsui, but when you want some of the best, you have to suffer.
– character and atmosphere. Modern chic with a hint of formal…just enough.
– style and comfort. Very swish, formal, less focused on comfort. Definitely a place to be seen.
– table and glassware. Excellent glassware.
– other guests. Business and shoppers.
– ambience rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down) 👍👍👍
– booking. WhatsApp with the Manager. It is good to have friends.
– reception. Professional. The Manager was not working today, but he arranged a complimentary bubble for us…xie xie!
– floor staff (knowledge and presentation of food, attention to details and awareness of guests). The team at ÉPURE mostly have worked together in other, top-shelf restaurants in Hong Kong. We would have to say excellent!
– sommelier, maitre’d, chef, manager. Impressed with Senki the sommelier. He formerly worked at The Principal and Jockey Club, where we met him. He knows his wine. He is not shy to explain and tell us why, based on his knowledge of our preferences, we should not choose a particular wine. We like people who put our pleasure first, their revenue second!
– service rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down)👍👍👍👍
– bread. Excellent selection! Excellent flavours. Exceptional textures. Excellent butter! Spectacular!
– ingredients. Excellent.
– presentation. Waiters doing a good job presenting the food.
– creativity. Relatively simple…but better than last visit.
– taste. Excellent.
– smell. Excellent
– execution. Excellent
– food rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down) 👍👍👍👌
An odd experience as we had some OMYGs and some, well, just OkeyDokey food today…hmmm….
Amuse Bouche of Beet Root, Cauliflower Mousse on Savoury Crackers and Lobster Foam. Beet root and cauliflower never, ever tasted so yummy. The Lobster Foam was delicious. OMYG!
Lobster Salad, Celery Root, Savora Mustard, Cilantro. Stunning flavours of mustard and cilantro. Even the celery was yummy. We thought the lobster was a touch too chewy.
Seared Duck Foie Gras, Jerusalem Artichoke, Shallots, Caramel Jus. Very good, but nothing special. How did that happen with Frog Grass!!!???
Flaky Butter Puff Ring, Lobster, Line Caught Fish, Liquorice Scented Coulis. The butter puff ring, not surprisingly, was outstanding. Lobster, yet again, a touch too chewy. Fish perfectly prepared. Flavours just OkeyDokey.
Grey Sea Bream, Sautéed Salicornia, Ile de Re Sea Urchin Butter Sauce. Everything was very good, but the sauce was exceptional! We could have sipped an entire bowl…OMYG!
Cheese plate from Toullousse. We opted for Chef’s choice. The Roquefort, in particular, was superb. All were excellent. The cheese “room” is top-shelf.
Petits Fours. Chestnuts to die for.
– selection. Almost exclusively French, which is not surprising.
– variety. Relatively good, but could be better.
– value. Reasonable.
– wine rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down) 👍👍👌
Complimentary glasses (wine, not flutes) of:
NV Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Cuvée Sainte Anne. We were greeted by the sommelier with complimentary glasses of this pleasant bubbly from the manager of Epure Hong Kong, who made our reservations, but was not on service that day. Xie xie… Pleasant light, brownish-yellow (blend) on the eye. Less than 7 g/liter dosage, but quite dry. Bubbly bubble on the nose with vibrant and vivid citrus fruits. An excellent QPR aperitif for any lunch, dinner or party!
2012 Robert Comte Santenay 1er Cru La Truffière. An unusual drop from a region usually known for its reds, we were pleased with a vivid, brightness on the eye. Aromas of slightly earthy, vanilla, toasty oak with an almost Corton-Charlemagne personality. Fresh, smooth and silky on the palate with a pleasant, fairly long finish.
– type of cuisine. Classic French
– dress code. Smart Casual.
– private rooms. Yes.
– overall rating (1 to 5 thumbs up/down) 👍👍👍👌
Chef Nicolas Boutin, Executive Chef
Chef Matthieu Godard, Head Pastry Chef
Shop 403, Ocean Centre, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui